by Dustin Matteson
What is the primary goal for lifting weights? If you answered building muscle then you win the prize! So along with working out and eating right, what is the next biggest adjustment you can make to reach your goals? The answer to that one is taking supplements to build muscle.
Now there are a lot of supplements on the market. Some are for losing weight, others for general health, and also ones that really help with muscle gain. That is where our focus is today.
The Top 8 Muscle Builders
- Whey protein powder – This is an absolute staple to building muscle because you need protein! This variety is easily digested and has a high concentration of important branched-chain amino acids which your body then uses to repair muscle tissue along with maintaining it.
- Casein protein powder – Casein is another great protein option, but less used than whey because it takes longer to digest. But this makes it a great source of protein right before you go to sleep to prevent catabolism which is when they body breaks down tissue to find nutrients it needs.
- Creatine - This is as close to a super-supplement as there is. It helps increase energy within the muscles for reps, increases water in the muscle, and increases the growth factor in muscles. If you want to get bigger and stronger, because you can go harder in the gym, take some Creatine.
- Branched chain amino acids - BCAA’s are very popular because your body gobbles them up like candy. These are the most important aminos needed in muscle tissues and by ensuring you have a lot in your system at all time, it means your body has all the fuel it needs for maximum growth, recovery, and maintenance.
- Nitric Oxide Boosters – It sounds like a fuel additive for your car and it does about the same thing for you in the gym. This type of supplement helps dilate blood vessels, which allows more blood flow and a greater pump in the muscle. That also means a better delivery of nutrients and flushing out waste. It helps with energy, recovery, and growth.
- Glutamine – This is a very popular supplement because this amino acid is the most prevalent in the human body. It helps decrease muscle breakdown and also increases your immune system. A lot of people supplement their daily intake with this amino acid.
- Fish Oil – This one might seem odd as it doesn’t seem to directly relate to muscle growth, but it does. Fish oil is one of those sneaky supplements to build muscle that gets overlooked. It helps with body composition by evening out the ratio of your omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It also is a great anti-inflammatory which helps with injury recuperation and reduction.
- Multivitamins – You simply have to have your multivitamins. A high quality option ensures you have more than enough of the vital minerals and nutrients you need to build quality muscle.
In case you haven’t noticed, a lot of these supplements to build muscle focus on recovery. That is because recovery is where the truth muscle growth takes place. It isn’t just the hard work in the gym that builds the muscle; the true increase in size and strength comes as your body recovers and grows back stronger. Supplements are a great option to help that process.